Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Joseph Stevens's Avatar
    Joseph Stevens Guest

    Default Mobile Home Questions

    As a starting inspector I havn't inspected any mobile homes yet, but I went with a friend to look at one he might buy and had a few questions.

    Details-Manufactured 1998, In a Wisconsin trailer park.

    First off, I've heard in the past that they are required to be strapped down. Can anyone verify this or point me to where to look.

    How much rust on a natural gas line is okay, these are the worst I've seen, they don't appear to be leaking, yet...

    Are mobile home appliances (furnace, water heater) required to be listed for mobile home use? or can you put in any furnace/water heater assuming all clearances / manufacture instructions are met?

    Any other information to know about inspecting mobile homes that one may not think of would be appreciated as well.

    Thank you.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    F.I.R.E. Services

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NY Finger Lakes Area
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    1) Proper terminology--HUD Code manufactured home--not mobile home.
    2) Homes should be anchored. Anti-turnover devices can be used in lieu of traditional anchoring systems.
    3) Gas line looks pretty typical.
    4) Furnaces and gas water heaters should be listed-- any electric water heater OK.
    5) Conduit not properly supported.
    6) Waste piping not properly supported.
    7) Water line insulation torn.
    8) Block orientation on the pier is incorrect.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    In addition to what Greg said.
    I would be concerned about the source of moisture, or lack of venting to cause that much rusting..
    Maybe that's OK pack east?
    There are water stains on the blocking, at some point the excessive moisture can damage the concrete blocking.

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NY Finger Lakes Area
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    In addition to what Greg said.
    I would be concerned about the source of moisture, or lack of venting to cause that much rusting..
    Maybe that's OK pack east?
    There are water stains on the blocking, at some point the excessive moisture can damage the concrete blocking.
    Dan is exactly right-and to that end, there should be a vapor barrier in place under the unit......Greg


  5. #5
    James Duffin's Avatar
    James Duffin Guest

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    I found this copy of the Wisconsin Manufactured Home Installation Instructions. It may have some information you can use.

    http://www.commerce.state.wi.us/SB/d...Manual1209.pdf


  6. #6
    Joseph Stevens's Avatar
    Joseph Stevens Guest

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I found this copy of the Wisconsin Manufactured Home Installation Instructions. It may have some information you can use.

    http://www.commerce.state.wi.us/SB/d...Manual1209.pdf

    James: Thank you that was extremely helpful.

    Greg and Dan: Thank you also, that was very useful. Greg- No big deal but that missing insulation is actually a freon line, not the water line, anyhow thanks for the input.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    2) Homes should be anchored. Anti-turnover devices can be used in lieu of traditional anchoring systems.
    Depends where you are and who the lender is.

    I agree with others, the rusting going on looks excessive.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Any other information to know about inspecting mobile homes that one may not think of would be appreciated as well.
    Just released today How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes course.

    Email us at fastreply@nachi.org and we'll give you free access to it.

    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sparks,NV
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Check the roof well they can have lots of problems. The water heater and furnace have to be manufactured home models when originally installed. If your changing them out they have to be approved for installation in a manufactured home.
    Nothing can be attached to the home for structure, no awnings or decks. Just flashing. Check the cord that connects to the power. It should not be altered and the chassis should be grounded.
    There should be an engineered plan for the piers and their placement located with the home. If you don't have it and you wanted to move it you would need to meet a new set that is probably more than what you have now since it would be sort of a universal fit type of plan. A small amount of uneven floor is expected but anything major should be looked into.

    Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stevens View Post
    As a starting inspector I havn't inspected any mobile homes yet, but I went with a friend to look at one he might buy and had a few questions.

    Details-Manufactured 1998, In a Wisconsin trailer park.

    First off, I've heard in the past that they are required to be strapped down. Can anyone verify this or point me to where to look.

    How much rust on a natural gas line is okay, these are the worst I've seen, they don't appear to be leaking, yet...

    Are mobile home appliances (furnace, water heater) required to be listed for mobile home use? or can you put in any furnace/water heater assuming all clearances / manufacture instructions are met?

    Any other information to know about inspecting mobile homes that one may not think of would be appreciated as well.

    Thank you.
    We do inspections for Mobile Home Foundation Certifications | Foundation Certification for a Mobile Home | HUD FHA Mobile Home Foundation Certifications | Manufactured Homes Inspections and Compliance | California 433a. I think they have some info on their site on the straps for your area.

    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Mobile Home Questions

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •