Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Winfield, IL
    Posts
    37

    Default Uneven concrete ceiling, condo unit

    Section of concrete ceiling at this suburban Chicago 3rd floor condo of a 5 story building has settled at least 1 1/2 inch over the span of 25'. Nasty looking cosmetic repair has been attempted. A little hard to see what is going on from the photos and popcorn finish. Looks much worse in person. Looking for anyones opnion who has experience this condition. Is there an acceptable tolerance for deflection in a concrete ceiling (unicore?)? Is this thing going to come tumbling down on someones head? How is such a condition corrected? Does it need to be corrected.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Uneven concrete ceiling, condo unit

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Williams View Post
    Section of concrete ceiling at this suburban Chicago 3rd floor condo of a 5 story building has settled at least 1 1/2 inch over the span of 25'. Nasty looking cosmetic repair has been attempted. A little hard to see what is going on from the photos and popcorn finish. Looks much worse in person. Looking for anyones opnion who has experience this condition. Is there an acceptable tolerance for deflection in a concrete ceiling (unicore?)? Is this thing going to come tumbling down on someones head? How is such a condition corrected? Does it need to be corrected.
    I would not even attempt to provide a recommendation or opinion other than they need to contact a PE who specializes in multi level structures. Too many unknowns and variables for a home inspector to chime in on.

    I would also tell my client that they need to get information from the owner and or condo association as to what caused this and what was done if anything to correct it.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Winfield, IL
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Uneven concrete ceiling, condo unit

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I would not even attempt to provide a recommendation or opinion other than they need to contact a PE who specializes in multi level structures. Too many unknowns and variables for a home inspector to chime in on.

    I would also tell my client that they need to get information from the owner and or condo association as to what caused this and what was done if anything to correct it.
    This was from an inspection last week. I did pretty much what you said. I told them to contact the condo association (big developement, this may have happend before) as well as a structural engineer.

    Always hate to display my ignorance on this forum but..... what is a PE?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Uneven concrete ceiling, condo unit

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Williams View Post
    This was from an inspection last week. I did pretty much what you said. I told them to contact the condo association (big developement, this may have happend before) as well as a structural engineer.

    Always hate to display my ignorance on this forum but..... what is a PE?
    No such thing as ignorance, only stupidity for not asking!

    PE=Professional Engineer.

    Not all engineers have the PE designation, it take several years and additional school/testing to obtain it. Th PE designation is similar a license that is issued by the various states. Many times you will see a PE stamp on various documents that have to do with the engineering of a structure.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    winslow, maine
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Uneven concrete ceiling, condo unit

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Williams View Post
    Section of concrete ceiling at this suburban Chicago 3rd floor condo of a 5 story building has settled at least 1 1/2 inch over the span of 25'. Nasty looking cosmetic repair has been attempted. A little hard to see what is going on from the photos and popcorn finish. Looks much worse in person. Looking for anyones opnion who has experience this condition. Is there an acceptable tolerance for deflection in a concrete ceiling (unicore?)? Is this thing going to come tumbling down on someones head? How is such a condition corrected? Does it need to be corrected.
    Looks like prestressed planks with uncontrolled camber at time of construction and improper patching.
    Camber is inherent in all prestressed products. It is the result of the
    eccentric prestress force required to resist design loads, and cannot
    be designed in, out, or to an exact number.
    The amount of camber willdepend upon the span, design loads and thickness of plank. Planksstored in the yard for more than 6 weeks, usually due to constructionschedule changes, will experience more camber growth.
    Adjacent plank of dissimilar length, strand pattern or with openings

    will have inherent camber differences.
    Since the camber is different in most planks, at the time of erection, threaded rods and steel plates are used to clamp the planks together before the 2" topping is poured on the top of the planks.
    Once the concrete has attained it's strength, they are removed and the planks remain at the same plain.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •