Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    70

    Default How long have CMU's been around?

    Had a seller at the inspection today whom suggested that the 8x8x16" CMU foundation on his 1936 Western Washington home was original. Seems too old to be true & I couldn't find any historical data online. Anyone have a origination date for this area?

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc V. L. View Post
    Had a seller at the inspection today whom suggested that the 8x8x16" CMU foundation on his 1936 Western Washington home was original. Seems too old to be true & I couldn't find any historical data online. Anyone have a origination date for this area?
    8x8x16 CMU were being used in Miami in the 1910s and 1920s.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Nice.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bozeman, Montana
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Nice, Mr. Peck.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    8x8x16 CMU were being used in Miami in the 1910s and 1920s.
    I have seen them in similar aged homes in Denver.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Concrete blocks have been around since the early to mid 1800's.

    The house in the photo is circa 1870 and block was used.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Agreed, "concrete block" about 1830. "CMU" not until mid 20th century when the engineers and inspectors got involved and needed a fancier term.

    END GLOBAL WHINING

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Agreed, "concrete block" about 1830. "CMU" not until mid 20th century when the engineers and inspectors got involved and needed a fancier term.
    "Concrete block" when each factory made their own sizes.

    "Concrete Masonry Unit" (CMU) when they agreed on a 'standard size' for the block, i.e., 8" x 8" x 16" (less 3/8" for the mortar joint), thus the "standard" CMU is 7-5/8" x 7-5/8" x 15-5/8", and set with "standard" 3/8" mortar joints the 'installed size' becomes 8" x 8" x 16" (give or take because the 3/8" mortar joints are allowed to vary to make up for slight size differences in the actual CMU size).

    As I recall, the 3/8" mortar joint is allowed to vary by 1/8", resulting in mortar joints from 1/4" to 1/2", but the overall wall height and length should average out to be that based on 3/8" mortar joints.

    If the mason is using 1/2" mortar joints for all of the joints, the wall is not going to be laid such that it comes out with the openings where the openings should be, and the height will not be the correct height either.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    I remember growing up they were called cinder block and did contain cinder. Lots of the block would have rust spots due to metals left in the cinder.

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    "Concrete block" when each factory made their own sizes.

    "Concrete Masonry Unit" (CMU) when they agreed on a 'standard size' for the block, i.e., 8" x 8" x 16" (less 3/8" for the mortar joint), thus the "standard" CMU is 7-5/8" x 7-5/8" x 15-5/8", and set with "standard" 3/8" mortar joints the 'installed size' becomes 8" x 8" x 16" (give or take because the 3/8" mortar joints are allowed to vary to make up for slight size differences in the actual CMU size).

    As I recall, the 3/8" mortar joint is allowed to vary by 1/8", resulting in mortar joints from 1/4" to 1/2", but the overall wall height and length should average out to be that based on 3/8" mortar joints.

    If the mason is using 1/2" mortar joints for all of the joints, the wall is not going to be laid such that it comes out with the openings where the openings should be, and the height will not be the correct height either.
    Yep, pretty much the same thing I said with more detail

    END GLOBAL WHINING

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Cinder block and Concrete block are two different animals I believe. Cinder block is not intended or approved for structural use.

    Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    Cinder block and Concrete block are two different animals I believe. Cinder block is not intended or approved for structural use.
    You're correct they are two different things.....

    Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    Cinder block and Concrete block are two different animals I believe. Cinder block is not intended or approved for structural use.
    But it was used back when my dad was a kid. I remember him telling of going down to the Union Carbide plant, which was just down the street, and getting white wash instead of paint. If you lived in a cinder block house you couldn't afford paint and white wash was a bi product of carbide production. He also used to hop trains to through coal off so they could have heat in the winter. Guess things aren't so bad after all .

    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: How long have CMU's been around?

    When I was a kid we were so poor that if it weren't for the holes in my pocket I would have had nothing to play with.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •