Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    I inspected a home a while back and called out plastic vapor barrier that was installed over floor joists, floors were insulated, no vapor barrier on ground. Sellers told clients that is was code at time the home was built, I also heard that the builder argued with city building inspector about installing the vapor barrier over floor structure. I disagree and do not believe that this should have ever been allowed. The vapor barrier in not installed toward heated space and can cause moisture to accumulate in floor structure.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    You are right.

    Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Its the way they do mobile homes all the time.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Its the way they do mobile homes all the time.
    As you know a mobile home is built quite differently that a stick build home, especially the floor structure. As far as I know the underbelly covering on a mobile home can breath a little, not like standard plastic sheeting, also it's not attached directly to floor joists.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    As you know a mobile home is built quite differently that a stick build home, especially the floor structure. As far as I know the underbelly covering on a mobile home can breath a little, not like standard plastic sheeting, also it's not attached directly to floor joists.
    Trent, I agree with you in principle, but ...... have you ever crawled under a mobile home that had a plumbing leak? That big black bag, anchored by the steel frame, can hold a ton of water. If you need pics, I got 'em in the archives.

    Also I agree, poly under the floor insulation is wrong, wrong, wrong, but I have seen it done with no ill effect , no sign of moisture trapped in there. That is what I have told my clients, it is wrong because it could trap moisture. However there is no sign of any moisture, so just lucky it's all dry in there.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Trent, I agree with you in principle, but ...... have you ever crawled under a mobile home that had a plumbing leak? That big black bag, anchored by the steel frame, can hold a ton of water. If you need pics, I got 'em in the archives.

    Also I agree, poly under the floor insulation is wrong, wrong, wrong, but I have seen it done with no ill effect , no sign of moisture trapped in there. That is what I have told my clients, it is wrong because it could trap moisture. However there is no sign of any moisture, so just lucky it's all dry in there.
    A word of caution! Never, I repeat Never poke your finger in the bulging belly wrap of a manufactured home!

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    A word of caution! Never, I repeat Never poke your finger in the bulging belly wrap of a manufactured home!
    That's like saying don't pop the bubbles on bubble wrap, you just can't resist it.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Yea I've seen plenty water balloons below mobile homes in my time.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. George, UT
    Posts
    217

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Plastic Sheeting does not meet the required flame spread to be placed in that location. That alone should be of concern, just as with Kraft faced batts. It is a fire hazard.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    Plastic Sheeting does not meet the required flame spread to be placed in that location. That alone should be of concern, just as with Kraft faced batts. It is a fire hazard.
    That's a good one to remember, thanks, Larry.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    A word of caution! Never, I repeat Never poke your finger in the bulging belly wrap of a manufactured home!
    That's like being in an old army tent in a rain storm and touch the canvass......


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •