Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, California
    Posts
    62

    Default What is the recommended training for IR?

    What is the recommended training / certifications for IR?

    I'm thinking about buying an IR camera but need to figure in the training time and cost and just don't know what is needed for basic HI use and more advanced use.

    Similar Threads:
    NHIE Practice Exam
    Don Martin, ACI
    Preferred Home Inspections

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    For building diagnostics (Home Inspector), level 1 is fine. If you are looking for a cam, shop around and then contact Tom Black for a cam and training. I highly doubt you will find a better deal elsewhere.

    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, California
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    I have heard about level 1 but don't really know what it is or who gives it out. And how does that compare to the NACHI IR training? (I have never had been a fan of NACHI internet wonder inspectors but am looking for comparisons)

    Don Martin, ACI
    Preferred Home Inspections

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    I don't know anything about INachi IR training. Is it Level 1? Is it live of on line? I know that the group that I trained with has been into IR for quite some time and still provide services all over the country and are extremely experienced. I don't remember exactly, but I think I spent about a week in a classroom.

    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Martin View Post
    I have heard about level 1 but don't really know what it is or who gives it out. And how does that compare to the NACHI IR training? (I have never had been a fan of NACHI internet wonder inspectors but am looking for comparisons)
    Here's a comparison by some of nickies finest.

    InterNACHI's Next IR Certificaton Class - InterNACHI Inspection Forum

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Here's a comparison by some of nickies finest.

    InterNACHI's Next IR Certificaton Class - InterNACHI Inspection Forum
    Dan
    Why must all roads lead you to the same place?

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Dan
    Why must all roads lead you to the same place?
    Just doing my part to help nicki get 2 million hits

    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Level 1 is for building diagnostics, Level 2 is for evaluating machinery, and Level 3 is for teaching.

    I do agree that by simply taking a Level 1 (or any other level), you really can't expect to walk out the door and be an expert... just like any other trade. The class will give you an understanding of the use of the technology (emissivity, reflectivity, etc), how to use the cam, and how to evaluate the scans. Once you get out of the class you have to use what you have learned to gain experience.

    Experience is what makes an expert.

    Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 04-12-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

  9. #9
    Philo Ramos's Avatar
    Philo Ramos Guest

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Martin View Post
    What is the recommended training / certifications for IR?

    I'm thinking about buying an IR camera but need to figure in the training time and cost and just don't know what is needed for basic HI use and more advanced use.
    I took a couple of high-dollar United Infrared classes. That program is for full-time Thermographers. I got my Level 1 on-line thru Infraspection Institute. I think it was $1750. (Sadly all this IR stuff is priced high. I wonder how on-line classes could cost so much.) I don't think I got all that much out of level 1 training. Infraspection offers a 3-day class for Home Inspectors for $1000 (then add-in travel/lodging...) that's on my wish-list; probably never to be fulfilled. As an alternative, I took INachi's 16-hr webinar class; at least that was only $450, and no travel costs. He repeated some stuff I learned in level 1; but I did pick up a couple of HI tips. After starting to use my camera in the field, I emailed the instructor asking questions, and found him to be rather condescending in his replies. Our prof assoc sponsored a couple of classes, and each time I pick up just a couple more tips. I'm still on the look-out for good HI IR training. Good Luck!
    Philo Ramos, BS Civil Engineering
    APlanoHomeInspector.com


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    so so, California
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Ask for Peter - unitedinfrared.com


    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Ramos View Post
    I took a couple of high-dollar United Infrared classes. That program is for full-time Thermographers. I got my Level 1 on-line thru Infraspection Institute. I think it was $1750. (Sadly all this IR stuff is priced high. I wonder how on-line classes could cost so much.) I don't think I got all that much out of level 1 training. Infraspection offers a 3-day class for Home Inspectors for $1000 (then add-in travel/lodging...) that's on my wish-list; probably never to be fulfilled. As an alternative, I took INachi's 16-hr webinar class; at least that was only $450, and no travel costs. He repeated some stuff I learned in level 1; but I did pick up a couple of HI tips. After starting to use my camera in the field, I emailed the instructor asking questions, and found him to be rather condescending in his replies. Our prof assoc sponsored a couple of classes, and each time I pick up just a couple more tips. I'm still on the look-out for good HI IR training. Good Luck!
    Philo Ramos, BS Civil Engineering
    APlanoHomeInspector.com


    The MAZZA INSPECTION GROUP
    www.mazzainspections.com
    Level III Thermo-picture-taker-er...er

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, N.C.
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    I read through this thread hoping for a recommendation for credible Level 1 training but not sue I got anywhere. There's lots of on line courses and out of town courses. Who took what? Surely there are some recommendations.

    JLMathis

    - - - Updated - - -

    I read through this thread hoping for a recommendation for credible Level 1 training but not sue I got anywhere. There's lots of on line courses and out of town courses. Who took what? Surely there are some recommendations.

    JLMathis


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,481

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Jeffrey and Don,

    What is the "standard of care" in your area for home inspectors? Around here, IR is not much used by HIs. Forensic inspectors, specialists and expert witnesses will. You do NOT want to give away this service, but the vast majority of real estate inspections do not warrant IR and buyers (around here) are not willing to absorb the additional cost of a "level 1" inspection. As a result, the significant cost of an IR camera and training is not going to bring additional business or a higher price for the inspection.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    ........ buyers (around here) are not willing to absorb the additional cost of a "level 1" inspection. As a result, the significant cost of an IR camera and training is not going to bring additional business or a higher price for the inspection.
    Same around here. People like the idea of additional tests until they realize they need to pay for them. I've been thinking about IR as an additional service I could provide but there is little to no market for it around here. And I would not get one of the cams and pay for the course to just include it as part of my regular inspections.

    Maybe when the price of the training becomes more reasonable, I'll consider it.

    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

  14. #14
    sanjeev supayia's Avatar
    sanjeev supayia Guest

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Martin View Post
    What is the recommended training / certifications for IR?

    I'm thinking about buying an IR camera but need to figure in the training time and cost and just don't know what is needed for basic HI use and more advanced use.
    InterNACHI IR Training $500 vs Level 1 $ 1800 both basic IR course now choice is your.
    SmartChoice Home And Mold Inspections
    Brampton Home Inspections Mississauga Home Inspector Toronto - Home


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: What is the recommended training for IR?

    More importantly is the course provider self certified or accredited by an independent body?

    A teacher providing courses under the guise that he is qualified by third party when he is not is misleading and deceptive.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •