PDA

View Full Version : dryer closet vented to outdoors?

John Arnold
08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
So I'm researching for another question I posted about gas dryer installation, and I ran into this from a GE installation manual:

"ALCOVE OR CLOSET INSTALLATION" ...

"The closet should be vented to the outdoors to prevent gas pocketing in case of a gas leak in the supply line."

Say what? Has anyone seen a laundry closet vented to the outdoors? I sure haven't.

Jerry Peck
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
So I'm researching for another question I posted about gas dryer installation, and I ran into this from a GE installation manual:

"ALCOVE OR CLOSET INSTALLATION" ...

"The closet should be vented to the outdoors to prevent gas pocketing in case of a gas leak in the supply line."

Say what? Has anyone seen a laundry closet vented to the outdoors? I sure haven't.

John,

Does that 4" vent through the wall count?

John Arnold
08-21-2009, 01:17 PM
John,

Does that 4" vent through the wall count?

Well, in the same section about closet installation, it says the dryer must be vented to the outdoors, and the closet must be vented to the outdoors. So I assume the dryer vent doesn't count.
If the closet venting is in case of a gas leak, the dryer vent would likely only help while the dryer is running, yes?

John Arnold
08-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's another thing I'm having trouble wrapping what's left of my mind around - from the same gas dryer installation manual:

"Closet doors must be louvered or otherwise ventilated and
must contain a minimum of 60 sq. in. of open area equally
distributed. If the closet contains both a washer and a
dryer, doors must contain a minimum of 120 sq. in. of open
area equally distributed."

What difference does it make if there's a washer?

Jerry Peck
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Here's another thing I'm having trouble wrapping what's left of my mind around - from the same gas dryer installation manual:

"Closet doors must be louvered or otherwise ventilated and
must contain a minimum of 60 sq. in. of open area equally
distributed. If the closet contains both a washer and a
dryer, doors must contain a minimum of 120 sq. in. of open
area equally distributed."

What difference does it make if there's a washer?

Washer takes up cubic feet of space and confines air movement around it?

WAG