PDA

View Full Version : Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed?

Gene South
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed to be connected together like in this photo ?

Rick Cantrell
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
"Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed to be connected together .."

No

Scott Patterson
10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Nope, the TPR line needs to be independent. Also needs to go to a visible location, if that is not doing so.

A.D. Miller
10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed to be connected together like in this photo ?

GS: No, and no AHJs in the D/FW area will allow it, to my knowledge.

Jim Luttrall
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
No, it is not allowed as others have already said, but that installation is very common for homes in the area that are over 10-15 years old. I see them all the time and must confess I never worry too much about it. The check valve in theory should stop or slow the blow back into the pan if the TPR trips.

Gene South
10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I am just curious but where does it state this type of connection should not exist ? In IRC 2803.6.1 it reads."..the discharge shall be piped full size separately to the floor..."... I guess the key word is separately, so I guess that is where it is stated ? Everyone on here is smarter than me. I am just wondering. Or maybe it is the plumbing codes which I do not have a copy of.....Anyway...

Thanks

Gene

A.D. Miller
10-07-2009, 03:47 AM
I am just curious but where does it state this type of connection should not exist ? In IRC 2803.6.1 it reads."..the discharge shall be piped full size separately to the floor..."... I guess the key word is separately, so I guess that is where it is stated ? Everyone on here is smarter than me. I am just wondering. Or maybe it is the plumbing codes which I do not have a copy of.....Anyway...

Thanks

Gene

GS: The key term is "separately".

Believe me, everyone on this forum is not smarter than you. A few examples come to mind: TM, RB, ML, . . . it is a very long list.:D

Gene South
10-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks.

Gene

Richard Stanley
10-07-2009, 07:49 AM
"Everyone on here is smarter than me."

That is only your imagination...

Mike Gault
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
How long has it been wrong to plumb it 'uphill'?

imported_John Smith
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Howdy Gene,

I think it was an aggie install.

Jim Luttrall
10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
How long has it been wrong to plumb it 'uphill'?
Since before the IRC came into being, but I can't give you a date.
I have been doing inspections since 1995 and it was already established as wrong long before that.

A.D. Miller
10-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Since before the IRC came into being, but I can't give you a date.
I have been doing inspections since 1995 and it was already established as wrong long before that.

JL: It has been wrong since Watts began manufacturing combination TPR valves.

Jim Luttrall
10-08-2009, 06:48 AM
JL: It has been wrong since Watts began manufacturing combination TPR valves.
When was that AD? I would say something smart connected with age... but I won't, I had a late report writing night and the smart azz cells have not come to life yet.:D

A.D. Miller
10-08-2009, 07:18 AM
When was that AD? I would say something smart connected with age... but I won't, I had a late report writing night and the smart azz cells have not come to life yet.:D

JL: The short version: the late 1920s. The long version:

Watts Industries, Inc. -- Company History (http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Watts-Industries-Inc-Company-History.html)