PDA

View Full Version : condensate drains through bsmt floor

John Arnold
05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Can someone remind me why they do this?
New construction. No basement perimeter drain or sump pump.

John Arnold
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh, yeah. And why would this flex drain line be here in a basement corner? Propane vent? I almost never see propane, but I'm thinking that's what it is. It's quite far from the furnace and water heater.

Markus Keller
05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Pic #1 - because they are stupid, cheap or figured no one would notice.
There's no real way to verify where it goes. A condensate pump, a couple clamps and tubing will run $50-60. Not exactly a big expense to do the job better.
Pic #2 - who knows, if it wasn't so vertical I might think a cheap perimeter drain tube that never got attached to a sump pit that wasn't installed. That's one of those great reasons to have a seesnake along.

Nick Ostrowski
05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
John, I agree with Markus on #1. It's just a cheap way of doing it.

As for the black flexible pipe in the floor, maybe a rough-in for a radon mitigation system? Although I've never seen that type of piping used for a radon rough-in.

John Arnold
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
...I've never seen that type of piping used for a radon rough-in.

Me neither.

There is supposed to be a floor vent for LP Gas in a basement, I believe, so I'm going with that as my theory.

Ken Amelin
05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Pic #1 - condensate drain in floor.

The argument I get from contractors who install the drain under the floor insist it is a better alternative to a condensate pump. "Gravity feed, no power requirement, the green solution".