PDA

View Full Version : I believe it's a flu liner issue, not sure what's causing all the moisture

Jeremy Fuhriman
05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I have an area of wall about 6ft x 4ft that is retaining moisture. My chimney is on the outside of the wall. I have had it professionally capped with concrete, new roof, tuck pointing, flashing and new gutters but nothing seems to stop the moisture coming through the wall. It is constant and seems to be getting worse, when I put my hand on the wall the plaster is wet and comes off on my hand. I have a Tru-Lite chimney liner for my flu, it was installed in 2006, could a flu liner come apart and the gases cause condensation to this extent?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Scott Patterson
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I have an area of wall about 6ft x 4ft that is retaining moisture. My chimney is on the outside of the wall. I have had it professionally capped with concrete, new roof, tuck pointing, flashing and new gutters but nothing seems to stop the moisture coming through the wall. It is constant and seems to be getting worse, when I put my hand on the wall the plaster is wet and comes off on my hand. I have a Tru-Lite chimney liner for my flu, it was installed in 2006, could a flu liner come apart and the gases cause condensation to this extent?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Photos would be helpful of the flashing and cap on the chimney. Water is leaking in from somewhere to cause it to be as wet as you are saying.

FYI, it is Flue...... Flu is what you try to avoid catching! :)

Harry Janssen
05-02-2013, 05:32 PM
None of us want the flu,but the chimney,flashings,etc may be the problem.

Steven Turetsky
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Like Scott says; post some pictures. Also include where the roof meets the chimney.

William Kievit
05-04-2013, 04:59 AM
It could be condensation from a LPG appliance.
What are you burning? Is it a fireplace or an appliance?
Does the wall feel colder than other walls in the house?
When does the wall get wet?