PDA

View Full Version : Rheem furnace question

Marc M
02-13-2014, 12:10 AM
This is a Rheem RGDD-06NC. I'm not familiar with this unit and was wondering if its typical to have the flame operate in this manner. Also, there was scorching / soot/ discoloration on the cabinets interior.

Jim Luttrall
02-13-2014, 08:39 AM
No, it needs service. You may have removed it for the photo but it appears that it is missing a flame shield. See the notch on your first photo in the sheet metal bracket?

Marc M
02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
No, it needs service. You may have removed it for the photo but it appears that it is missing a flame shield. See the notch on your first photo in the sheet metal bracket?

Thank you Sir, much appreciated.

Steven Turetsky
02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
The flame is not combusting properly. Besides being lazy (poor draft ?), it is yellow. Soot/burns on the cabinet are not good signs and are another indication of improper combustion.

Quite often when photographing an efficiently burning boiler flame, they appear invisible in the photos (Just like the bottom of the flame in your photo).

I you have a CO detector, now may be an interesting time to pull it out.

Larry Morrison
02-17-2014, 06:30 AM
I'd agree with Steven, Yellow flames = CO, and the soot confirms incomplete burning of the gas.

Randy Aldering
02-17-2014, 08:05 AM
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing, either the gas valve is bad, or the meter, or something else is affecting the gas pressure. Refer to licensed HVAC contractor.

Stuart Brooks
02-17-2014, 10:52 AM
I think that's an older furnace with a standing pilot light bar. If it is, the pilot light is burning yellow but the blue flames in the back don't look too bad. That doesn't mean it isn't in need of service and repair. Just a thought.