PDA

View Full Version : critter device

John Arnold
07-09-2014, 11:53 AM
This appears to be some kind of one-way critter device. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Is it home-made or do pros install these?

Jerry Peck
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
French fry basket ...

Looks more like an exit and no re-entry device.

John Arnold
07-09-2014, 12:40 PM
French fry basket ...

Looks more like an exit and no re-entry device.

Yes, that's what I meant by "one way". Squirrels, probably.

wayne soper
07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
that's a broker basket

Jerry Peck
07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I haven't seen one before, however, based on what looks to be a label on the top of the device, I am guessing that it is a manufactured unit.

Let those rodents out and keep them from coming back in, better than bait/poison and having them die in the attic and start stinking. :(

Rick Cantrell
07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
A few years ago I had a rental property in Atlanta that had squirrels in the attic.
Saw an advertisement that said "I can get rid of squirrels in your attic, guarantied. No poison, no traps. " So I called the number and told him to do it. He came out and put a cat in the attic. Cat chases out the squirrels, and he put screen over holes.
I didn't know if I should be amazed at his ingenuity, or angry that I was duped.
Paid him $250. Squirrels are gone.

Ian Page
07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
....Home fashioned bat cage, though typically bats enter and egress at the same access point. Could be to capture any orphaned young who haven't left their roost yet.

John Kogel
07-09-2014, 03:34 PM
It ain't catching anything with the door tripped shut. ;)

A couple of those high frequency noise makers that look like transistor radios would probably work better than trapping one animal with that goofy arrangement.

I am picturing the guy on the ladder with a screwdriver and an angry wolverine in the cage. ;)

OK, I see now, the end of the 'cage' is open to let them out so they can find a new way in. ;)

Jerry Peck
07-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Not supposed to catch anything. :)

Critter trying to get in can't open the door ... critter going out steps out, door closes behind it - leaving that critter two choices: a) jump; b) stay there and die ... I suspect that any self-respecting critter is going to choose a) ... :)

Ian Page
07-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Not supposed to catch anything. :)

Critter trying to get in can't open the door ... critter going out steps out, door closes behind it - leaving that critter two choices: a) jump; b) stay there and die ... I suspect that any self-respecting critter is going to choose a) ... :)

Jerry I think you are correct. Looking at the 'cage' closely, it appears open-ended to allow full egress and prevent re-entry. Definitely for bats IMO.

Billy Stephens
07-09-2014, 06:51 PM
A few years ago I had a rental property in Atlanta that had squirrels in the attic.
Saw an advertisement that said "I can get rid of squirrels in your attic, guarantied. No poison, no traps. " So I called the number and told him to do it. He came out and put a cat in the attic. Cat chases out the squirrels, and he put screen over holes.
I didn't know if I should be amazed at his ingenuity, or angry that I was duped.
Paid him $250. Squirrels are gone.

Come on Rick,

Duped is "The Nigerian Prince needs help getting his mega dollars safely out of the country."

Your still angry you didn't think of that remedy first. ;)

Rick Cantrell
07-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Come on Rick,

Duped is "The Nigerian Prince needs help getting his mega dollars safely out of the country."

Your still angry you didn't think of that remedy first. ;)
What really made me mad was two weeks later I had to pay someone else $75 to remove a dead cat from the attic. ;)

Garry Sorrells
07-10-2014, 03:39 AM

;)

It will work. Animal will push past door.

Wish I had picture of one I made up for a friend with a squirrel invasion in attic. I fought with the squirrels for several days before I caught all of them and took them for a road trip. Found that just chasing them out of attic was a temp condition. They would come back. I put screening on interior of wood louvered end gable vent. The squirrels chewed out all of the wood louvers and ripped out the screening.

John Kogel
07-10-2014, 06:59 AM
I put screening on interior of wood louvered end gable vent. The squirrels chewed out all of the wood louvers and ripped out the screening.Kids. They were born in that attic and you had the gall to try and keep them out. ;)

Garry Sorrells
07-14-2014, 04:06 AM
Kids. They were born in that attic and you had the gall to try and keep them out. ;)

More like politicians, once they get into a house they think they own it and it was built for their sole benefit and exploitation.

They also have no concern to the damage that they cause.

Dirk Jeanis
07-17-2014, 05:57 AM
This appears to be some kind of one-way critter device. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Is it home-made or do pros install these?

Great device, but once the critters are gone it should have been removed and the area properly repaired. Also it is very important to find the secondary entry/exit. Most animals will make a secondary.

I built a much less elaborate one to get a raccoon and her kits out of an attic. Closed up two entries and left one open. Made LOTS of crazy noise (firecrackers in tin cans etc), set up traps int eh attic (most raccoons in the area have been trapped and wont go in one, they know they are being targeted when a trap arrives. They were gone the next day and I sealed the area properly.

Some crazy "professional" trapper had charged the people 150 and didnt get them out then wanted 1500, said he had to kill them then tear out structure to get the bodies. Took me 2 hours total plus two trips driving there.