View Full Version : what do you call

dan orourke
12-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Lee Nettnin
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
I call it part of the fascia

Scott Patterson
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
the triangular section under the rake board end?

Box cornice

John Goad
12-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Framers in this area call it a "bird box", but box cornice sounds better on a report, unless I guess, your client is a framer from this area:)

Bruce Breedlove
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
"bird box" is the term I learned when I was building houses in GA. That may be a regional term.

Kevin Barre
12-03-2007, 09:13 PM
It's "bird box" here also...but I learned that from framers...

I think "boxed end of soffitt" or "enclosed soffitt end" would work for most folks.

Scott Patterson
12-04-2007, 07:46 AM
It is also called a "Corner return".

This website might help with some terms.
Building Construction & Finishing (http://www.waybuilder.net/sweethaven/BldgConst/Building01/default.asp?iNum=1002)

Most of this information comes from a book called "Modern Carpentry" by Willis H. Wagner & Howard Bud Smith, 2003. ISBN # 1-59070-202-6 Publisher is The Goodheart=Wilcox Company.

It is a book that I use all of the time when it comes to questions about light construction.

Lloyd Woods
12-09-2007, 06:48 AM
I call it part of the gable trim

Brian Hoagland
12-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I call it part of the fascia
I'm with you, I think every body else is correct with regarding the framing underneath as to the actual construction terms but the exterior facing is a part of the fascia. Besides, most laymen can get a grip on fascia but lose the ability to understand these other terms. Now if you need to refer to the structural wood elements behind the one by, it might be a good idea to go with some of those terms as applicable in your area.

Eric Barker
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Rake return.

Rick Hurst
12-09-2007, 06:01 PM
In layman terms, its the end corner of the roof. :D

Nolan Kienitz
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
In layman terms, its the end corner of the roof. :D

To get fancy: ... Northwest or Southeast ... end corner of the roof :confused:

Richard Rushing
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Cornice return.


brian schmitt
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
we old timers call that a "pork chop".

Ed Voytovich
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
the triangular section under the rake board end?

On older houses where the return is three dimensional, and where real carpentry was required, we refer to this detail formally in Central New York as a gable end return. Informally, it's a pigeon walk.

For this miserable, etiolated, two dimensional detail in modern construction, the term "pork chop" seems just right.

Eric Barker
12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
I start writing pork chop and people will really wonder what I used to do. :)

Richard Rushing
12-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Or what you eat...:)