PDA

View Full Version : sump pump discharge

Rick Beeman
06-20-2018, 04:30 AM
You guys were so quick and good with the first question I might as well try again.

A sump pump discharge pipe comes up out of the well,(pit), in the basement, goes up about 2 feet, over 2 feet and then back down into the concrete. From there I am guessing, but it looks like it goes over into the grinder, (injector), pump.
Is this a new typical way of routing the discharge of the sump? no more outside? Is it typical allowed to be pumped into the waste water system of the city?

I typically inspect a lot of older homes but I've inspected 2 new homes in the last week, and they both had a sump pump set up like this.

Thanks for the help again

Rick

Brian Hannigan
06-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Hello Rick Beeman,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_inspection/MemberBenefits

Gunnar Alquist
06-20-2018, 07:29 AM
You guys were so quick and good with the first question I might as well try again.

A sump pump discharge pipe comes up out of the well,(pit), in the basement, goes up about 2 feet, over 2 feet and then back down into the concrete. From there I am guessing, but it looks like it goes over into the grinder, (injector), pump.
Is this a new typical way of routing the discharge of the sump? no more outside? Is it typical allowed to be pumped into the waste water system of the city?

I typically inspect a lot of older homes but I've inspected 2 new homes in the last week, and they both had a sump pump set up like this.

Thanks for the help again

Rick

Rick,

That is not something that I have seen; however, in San Francisco, street runoff is routed into the sewer system instead of a separate drainage culvert. I think the best bet would be to contact the city in which this was installed and ask them.

The vast majority of sump pump systems in my area discharge to the exterior. The few that I have seen that discharge into a sewer/drain were done incorrectly.

Jerry Peck
06-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Rick

It is best for all and for future reference and searches, to post questions in the applicable forum (see the main list).

Cody Benedict
06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Rick,

That is not something that I have seen; however, in San Francisco, street runoff is routed into the sewer system instead of a separate drainage culvert. I think the best (https://www.celpiptestprep.com/) bet would be to contact the city in which this was installed and ask them.

The vast majority of sump pump systems in my area discharge to the exterior. The few that I have seen that discharge into a sewer/drain were done incorrectly.

I agree, because we won't know unless we contact them and ask. In my area, the systems discharge to the exterior as well.