Default Basement window well

Basement window well in new home. Basement was set up to be finished but has not been. No means of egress out of well is present. Is it required even though the basement is not finished.
    Childproof barrier is a given
    Thanks
    Wayne
    OH yeah,
    Sorry about the sideways photo Billy but I figured you would be laying down anyway.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Basement window well

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Is it required even though the basement is not finished.
    Yes.

Also, that pipe is in the way of the egress, and, if it is supposed to be a drain for that window well, it is also too high.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Forgot the code references.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)
    - SECTION R310
    - - EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE OPENINGS
    - - - R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.
    Basements and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency and rescue opening. Such opening shall open directly into a public street, public alley, yard or court. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118 mm) above the floor. Where a door opening having a threshold below the adjacent ground elevation serves as an emergency escape and rescue opening and is provided with a bulkhead enclosure, the bulkhead enclosure shall comply with Section R310.3. The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. Emergency escape and rescue openings with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall be provided with a window well in accordance with Section R310.2. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

- - - - Exception:
    Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

- - - R310.1.1 Minimum opening area.
    All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2).

- - - - Exception:
    Grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet (0.465 m2).

- - - - R310.1.2 Minimum opening height.
    The minimum net clear opening height shall be 24 inches (610 mm).

- - - - R310.1.3 Minimum opening width.
    The minimum net clear opening width shall be 20 inches (508 mm).

- - - - R310.1.4 Operational constraints.
    Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

- - - R310.2 Window wells.
    The minimum horizontal area of the window well shall be 9 square feet (0.9 m2), with a minimum horizontal projection and width of 36 inches (914 mm). The area of the window well shall allow the emergency escape and rescue opening to be fully opened.

- - - - Exception:
    The ladder or steps required by Section R310.2.1 shall be permitted to encroach a maximum of 6 inches (152 mm) into the required dimensions of the window well.

- - - - R310.2.1 Ladder and steps.
    Window wells with a vertical depth greater than 44 inches (1118 mm) shall be equipped with a permanently affixed ladder or steps usable with the window in the fully open position. Ladders or steps required by this section shall not be required to comply with Sections R311.5 and R311.6. Ladders or rungs shall have an inside width of at least 12 inches (305 mm), shall project at least 3 inches (76 mm) from the wall and shall be spaced not more than 18 inches (457 mm) on center vertically for the full height of the window well.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thankyou Jerry, That's exactly what I was thinking. That ought to piss off the contractor.

OH yeah,
    Sorry about the sideways photo Billy but I figured you would be laying down anyway.
    Dang You done Made Me Get Up Now.
    * the sideways one was OK but that other picture.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Wayne,

I assume that there is not also a bulkhead or other egress from the basement. In that case, the rescue opening and well are required.
    As the code text provided by Jerry says, a ladder/steps out of the stairwell would only be required if the well is more than 44" deep.
    Based on the height of the drain pipe and the visible dampproofing on the fouindation, the bottom of the well has not been completed yet. It is probably going to be filled with gravel to a level just below teh window sill and the finished elevtion might very well end up being less than 44".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post
    It is probably going to be filled with gravel to a level just below teh window sill and the finished elevtion might very well end up being less than 44".
    Steve,

I was also looking at the height of that 5 foot stepladder and envisioning it up at the top of the waterproofing (the pipe *has to* get cut down and possibly relocated to the side of the window, depending on what is to be down with that pipe and its drain).

My rough guesstimation put it at around 4' to 4-1/2' after all is said and done, which would exceed the maximum 44" height allowance for not having any permanent steps.

Also not sure if that is wide enough in front of the window to provide for the required "with a minimum horizontal projection and width of 36 inches".

Again, without better things to reference ... such as a tape measure laid across the top of the wall (Wayne ) ... those are "just guesses".

Then again, that is "just a guess".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, It was 36", and yes even with fill and the pipe cut down to grade the pit is over 5 feet. I tried to get the broker to stand down there for the photo but it was a no go.
    Thanks guys,
    Nice to be back to work
    Wayne

I tried to get the broker to stand down there for the photo but it was a no go.
    Just use this one.
    * originally posted by Rick H.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I don't remember falling into that one but it sure looks like me. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW