Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default More deck questions

These pictures are looking at where the deck comes out from the house. They have small strips of osb under the ledger board. I was not able to see that well behind the strips of osb. Does anyone know what the point of this would be. Any recommendations about what to say in the report?

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Re: More deck questions

ad, elaborate on the deck screws. are you referring to the nails?

Ryan Stouffer Guest

I could not find any ledger board screws securing the ledger board to the home.

Hard to tell w/o an establishing shot, but my guess would be spacers to bring things out level with the existing siding.

WRT the "screws", what I see are rusted rails (some not fully driven) and some... err... "creative" uses of engineered connectors:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

C.Johnson Guest

Lightbulb Re: More deck questions

I believe AD is refering to the fact that there are no Lag Bolts Securing the deck's ledger board to the house! Plus proper nails should not be rusting! Looks like they used common frameing nails through the hangers and should have used a Galvenized or stainless when working with treated lumber exposed to the elements. I would definitely recomend repair/ replacement as needed. As for the OSB, Ya got me

chris mcintyre Guest

Some of the osb ends are under the hangers and some lap over the hangers, very strange.

Is that a PT band sill for the deck or is that the (untreated) house sill? I see the flashing above the joist, but if that is an untreated sill it should not be exposed.